10.06.2010

October 5th

I meant to write this yesterday but I'm having a hard time keeping up with the clock this week.
Anyways, I dropped by my parent's house yesterday where my mom reminded me what day it was. October 5th. This may not mean much to most people, but for me, that's the day I became part of my family. No, it's not my birthday, it's much more important than that. I was adopted when I was four and October 5th was the day that my (and my sister, Renee) adoption was official. In my family, we celebrated October 5th because that was the day our family was completed. I remember being told by my case workers that Renee and I were only living with our foster parents until they could find us a forever family, and we never quite felt like we belonged until we were adopted into our "forever family."
That day has affected everything about who I am. Everyone reading this, I know you as a result of that day. If my parent's had not adopted me, I would have grown up in poverty, with no real advantage in this life. Words cannot describe how blessed I feel. Thank you mom and dad for having that feeling that your family of 5 was missing someone and I'm grateful that the Lord placed Renee and I into the family to fill that void!

Happy Children's Day (yesterday)!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wow! I don't think we knew you were adopted. We are sure glad that you were and that because of it, we have the privilege of knowing you!

Jess and Tom Roberts said...

we didnt know you were adopted either! that is amazing and im glad you were able to find your forever family! (and now making your own with devin).

JaRelle Bailey said...

That's cool. I'm glad I got to know you over the summer Christina. Dave and I want to adopt one day. It is such a priceless gift to give someone. That's so cool you and your sister got to stay together especially! ...On another note, I've been wanting to tell you I got a sewing machine for my birthday! :) So now you have to teach me all those other super cool bows you make. Peyton's hair is always out of control (sigh) and we can never have too many bows! Anyway, hope everything is going well for you. I miss seeing the girls of Georgia. :)